Hall Class 4-6-0 5931 'Hatherley Hall' stands alongside Castle Calass 4091 'Dudley Castle' inside Old Oak Common shed. 5931 was reallocated to OOC on 19/1/59 while 4091 was the first 'proper' Castle to be withdrawn on 19/1/59, so the photo date must be late Jan/early Feb 1959. the Castle being scrapped at Swindon 3/59.
A school party visit to Basingstoke depot on Friday 2 June 1967 during the last week of steam on the Southern Region. Rebuilt West Country 'Pacific' 34004 'Yeovil is lined up alongside future traction, a electro-diesel (later class 73), and Brush Type 4 (later class 47) D1848. ©Gordon Edgar Collection/Rail Photoprints
For a short period, locomotives reserved for the National Collection were securely housed in the former Hellifield motive power depot. In this August 1965 photograph 'Crab' 2-6-0 42700, L.N.E.R. 0-6-0 1217E, L.N.W.R. 0-4-0 saddle tank 1439 and L.M.S. '4F' 0-6-0 44027 are visible. Partly obscured at the rear is L.N.E.R. 'V2' 2-6-2 4771 'Green Arrow'. ©Gordon Edgar Collection/Rail Photoprints
The end of steam draws near at Stockport Edgeley (9B) motive power depot. A sad line of withdrawn Stanier locomotives, with 'Black 5' 4-6-0 45346 at the head, await their final journey to the breaker's yard as an active '8F'
2-8-0 clanks by in charge of a block cement train on 28 October 1967. ©Eric F. Bentley - Gordon Edgar Collection/Rail Photoprints
Class 'Q6' 0-80 63375 stands on the shed turntable at Middlesbrough on 8 July 1956, with class 'A8' 4-6-2 tank 69892 and class 'J25' 0-6-0 65720 on two of the radiating roads. The shed which had 3 turntables was coded 51D in the Darlington District and had an allocation of 64 locomotives in 1954, it served the large freight yards and transport requirements of local industry on Teeside and was closed on 31st May 1958. Located east of Middlesbrough station, the site now lies beneath the dual carriageway A66 through trunk road. Â©Gordon Edgar Collection/Rail Photoprints
A study of light and steam inside the Old Oak Common roundhouses. The diesels are already starting to encroach in this fine study of shadow, light and steam of 'Tanner One' class 2-6-tank No.6169 in April 1964, the final ember of the class to be built. Photographed just before transfer to Worcester (85A) via Radyr in May, she was withdrawn from Worcester depot in November 1965 and cut up at Buttigieg's scrapyard in Newport in February 1966. ©www.railphotoprints.co.uk - Gordon Edgar Collection - A. E. Durrant.
A delightful panorama of the inside of one of Old Oak Common's roundhouses in 1958. 94xx Pannier 9411, Condenser fitted 57xx Pannier 9706, Castle 4-6-0's 5055 & 5023 and Llanelly based Hall 5902 are stab;led round one of OOC's boarded trurntables. Cardiff Canton Britannia Pacific 70016 can just be glimpsed behind 5023, 1958. ©Norman Preedy Collection/Rail Photoprints
Swindon shed 1966 the steam has gone but there is a large diesel presence in the form of (at least) 1 x 03, 2 x 52's, 6 x Class 35's, sadly none identified. The 2 unoccupied roads lead into the original diesel depot which was converted from part of the steam shed in 1958. ©www.railphotoprints.co.uk - collection